Illawarra Legal Centre
Phone: 02 4276 1939
Fax: 02 4276 1978
Telephone interpreter TIS
13 14 50

If you are deaf, or have a hearing or speech impairment, contact us through the National Relay Service. For more information, visit:

Tenants Service
Phone:02 4274 3475
Freecall: 1800 807 225
Fax: 02 42743491

The Illawarra Legal Centre is a member of the National Association of Community Legal Centres (NACLC) and is based in Warrawong, a southern suburb of Wollongong, NSW.
General Law

 General Law Areas

Areas we DO advise in

* Most areas of law
* Child support - for carer parents only
* Employment Law
* Discrimination
* Fines
* Victim's support
* Credit and debt matters
* Domestic violence (AVO) – complainants only
* Care and protection (child protection)

Areas we do NOT advise in

X Non-carer parents in child support/family matter
X Family Law
X Landlords
X Defendants in apprehended domestic violence matters (unless the defence is to a cross-application) and defendants in victim's support matters
X Commercial Creditors
X Respondents in discrimination and employment matters


 How we can help you with your legal matter

1. Phone Advice

Please scroll down to our 'Phone Advice' times located at the bottom right of this page.

2. Face-to-Face advice

You must meet certain criteria:

  • If you have a disability and are unable to use the phone.
  • If your matter is too complex to address over the telephone.
  • If your documents need to be read and interpreted in order to provide advice.

Where an interpreter is required, we will endeavour to arrange for an interpreter on your behalf. Appointments are conducted by volunteer solicitors from the private profession. These appointments must be made through our centre and are conducted at the centre in Greene Street Warrawong.

These appointments are available on:

Thursday evenings from 6pm or

Alternate Friday afternoons from 2pm.


3. Legal Representation

We provide representation in the following general law areas:

  • Victim's support
  • Discrimination
  • Unfair dismissal
  • Credit and debt matters
  • Domestic violence (AVO) - complainants only
  • Child support (for carer parents only)


4. Referral

Private Solicitor

Please note that, except for the areas in which we provide legal representation we may refer clients to a private solicitor if the issue requires longer, detailed consideration.

Outreach Service for Women:

We run an advice service at the Illawarra Women's Health Centre in Warilla on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month between 10am - 12 noon.

The Illawarra Women's Health Centre is a women-only space at 4 Belfast Avenue, Warilla.

Appointments are necessary and can be made by contacting the Women's Health Centre on 4255 6800.

Migration Advice:

A volunteer Registered Migration Agent provides free advice at the centre on the second Tuesday of each month. Phone 4276 1939 to make an appointment.

Advice is given regarding any type of visa, with a focus on family visas, as well as general immigration and citizenship. Advice is given on a "one-off" basis. Unfortunately we cannot take any migration matters as casework.

Outreach Service for Young People:

Port Kembla Children's Court every Monday 9am to 12 noon for Children’s Court attendees only.



Unfortunately we cannot give advice by email. We cannot protect any confidential information you send to us by email if we have not asked for that information.








Phone Advice

All initial requests for advice from the Illawarra Legal Centre should be made through the telephone advice service:


Phone Advice Times